COMMIT, COMMUNICATE, LEARN!
Renew your partnership with Tucson Botanical Gardens
Re-designed Volunteer Program 2014-2015
As we begin our new season here at the Gardens, we want to thank all of you that hung in here this summer and helped us! From gardening to events, all the time you put in was greatly appreciated! To our returning volunteers, we have a great season planned for you and our guests. And to all of you – thank you for choosing the Gardens as your place to invest your time and talent.
Michelle Conklin, Executive Director
In an effort to continually strive to improve and grow, we are refreshing the Volunteer Program by placing greater emphasis on educating our volunteers.
- It starts with your own membership to the Gardens. As a Gardens docent or volunteer, you are required to be an active member, and keep up this status by renewing your membership each year. Your membership is your connection to being in the know! All activities are communicated through our membership newsletter, E-blasts, and our website. Our newsletter and bulletin is one of the many great benefits of your membership.
“As I was working in the Gardens, a guest asked me if I was a member.
Without skipping a beat I said, Yes! and you should be one too!”
- Because many of our volunteers expressed the fact that the information in the volunteer newsletter was duplicated in the Gardens’ newsletter, and there was shrinking attendance at the monthly volunteer meetings, the monthly all-volunteer newsletter and the monthly all-volunteer meetings are being retired. We’re sad to see these two programs retire, but we want to assure you that you will continue to get group communications as needed throughout the year by e-mail and flyers. And you will continue to get specific communications from the department head of the group you are volunteering with. Also, you will be receiving information through the Gardens’ newsletter and e-bulletins.
As the Gardens’ premier Ambassadors,
we want to make sure that you, our Volunteers and Docents, have all the tools you need to make every interaction that you have with our guests meaningful and memorable.
Starting this year (September, 2014) all volunteers will be required to increase their knowledge of the Gardens * – and we’re going to make these requirements easy and fun for you!
All volunteers will:
- Attend a minimum of 2 Signature Classes of their choice and all on-site Garden Tours – at no cost to you. If you are a new volunteer, you must complete this within your first year. If you have been here longer than that and have not yet taken these, please plan to take them this year. If you complete all 5 Signature Classes, you will receive a Signature Class Certificate celebrating your completion of the courses. If you have already taken Signature Classes, please fill out a Signature Class/Gardens Tours Taken Form. Your class and tour time will be acknowledged and recorded.
- Participate in one (1) free Gardens’ class (up to a $12 value and based on availability) for every 30 hours of documented volunteer time. You can pick up a ticket from the volunteer coordinator and then register with the education department.
- Attend one “Guest Experience Academy” training class. This class, developed specifically for botanical garden volunteers and staff by Longwood Gardens, provides the very best in guest service training. Classes will be offered twice a year.
The Gardens is pleased to continue the following:
Hosting two (2) “Pot-Luck” lunches – one in September and one in May – held in the Gardens Pavilion
Hosting the Appreciation Brunch in December – all volunteers and docents who have at least 100 hours of volunteer time documented by the end of November will be invited (remember to log your hours!).
Don’t forget to check out any free classes that are being taught by Tucson Botanical Staff
Thank you all for your dedication to Tucson Botanical Gardens!
* We realize that life sometimes gets in the way of fun – if circumstances preclude you from fulfilling any part of the volunteer class requirements, please contact the volunteer coordinator.
*Reminder also that we have Docent Training starting up on Friday, September 19! We only have a couple of openings, so contact us soon if you are interested!!
Email this page to a friend